Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hot Textiles

Below is images of the fabric I am creating myself



The fabric used to create this is called tyvek. It's normally used for FedX bags and mechanics uniforms. It is kind of like a plastic fabric so it melts easily.
The fabric comes white so it needs to be painted in the colours that I want to use. Both sides of the tyvek need to be painted as the under side is revealed when burnt.
A layer of organza is laid on top and sew it together either with swirls or well spaced out lines.
Using a heat gun, the fabric melts, burns and shrinks. It shrivels up and eventually tears, so holes are formed and the colours underneath are revealed. The organza adds a nice finish to the top of the fabric
The fabric shrivels up quiet small so I will need to make large pieces to make the garments out of it..
So after I finally decide on my colours and designs I will be able to order the paint and tyvek and start burning my fabric :)

No comments:

Post a Comment